Friday, April 20, 2012

Aging rockstar

So, I was "katjie van die baan" last weekend, come Tuesday, the flu had me flat on my back. It is now Friday and I'm only just surfacing. Not fun at all.

Friday night started raucously, as per usual. I invited Monster and The Young One over for dinner (I don't know, somehow I really enjoy cooking for friends, but not so much just for me and the Not-so-Ex?), which was a lovely Caribbean fish curry - awesomeness. Tequila Tart joined us as well, as well as Long Lost Friend and brother. Savannahs, Amstels, Windhoeks and MUCH RED WINE was partaken in before waltzing off to Mercury. To be seduced by the vocals of Michelle Breeze - amazingness.

Truth be told, many of the songs flowed into one another for me (not knowing them that well) but I had goosebumps none the less, and stood fascinated, watching the stage for their entire spellbinding performance.

Afterwards, there was much fun to be had at the bar with friends - Jagermeister won again. Finally, I bummed a lift with two of Tequila Tart's friends, as everyone else was obviously going to party much later than I intended to, seeing as I needed my beauty sleep for the next night's show.

Woke up with an almightly head ache which was SO NOT justified by the amount of alcohol I had consumed the night before - I didn't drink as much as I had mixed my alcohol: Big mistake.

The not-so-ex and I then traipsed down to Villa Taverna for breakfast and the Stormers / Crusaders game, then returned home so I could, for one last time, practice all my toons. By then, the four Panados had started doing what they were paid to do.

Monster and The Young One fetched me at 16:00 and soundcheck was complete at 9:15 (when the doors had already opened to the venue). Monster, TDB, me and another League of Doom member wizzed off to the Monster's house to get ready - read change wardrobe and add make up.

By this time, my heart rate was doing around 160 km/h as I was about to perform on a stage for the first time in over a decade. I couldn't remember the notes I had to play on my first song (which also happened to be the first song of the set).

Anyway, we returned to the venue, got on stage and waited for the curtain to be lifted. Heartrate accelarated to 200 km/h.

Two minutes into the song, I tried my notes, the 1st ones were wrong, but still harmonised, and by the second time around - I had them. This did not decelerate the heart rate, however, all it accomplished was to make me start grooooooooooving behind that keyboard. And then I started to enjoy it.

At the end of every gig I've ever played, though, its hard to remember what happened in each song, but this time round, I do. Including the comments shouted from the audience by the female member of the coolest-flatmates-ever.

Sunday I invited the Monster and The Young One around for dinner once more - the Not-So-Ex was off to watch soccer and I did not feel like eating dinner by myself. Drank 3 glasses of wine and went to bed pissed.

By Monday afternoon, I had no voice, was coughing and had a fever.

Tuesday saw me in bed until yesterday.

Tequila Tart is doubting that I'm a rockstar.

I have to agree... :)

2 comments:

  1. Haa haa! I am beginning to realise that there is big difference between being an actual rockstar and rockstar behaviour. I am definitely the latter. But both take huge amounts of practice and commitment. ;0)

    ReplyDelete