Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Some of what I've learnt in the Metal Tiger year.

I have bitched and moaned most of this year, sorry everyone, and at the same time, thanks for listening.

I have learnt that hindsight being 20 20 is a blessing. If I had been offered my promotion at the beginning of this year, I would have declined. Its amazing what a bit of crap in your life can do for your confidence, eh?
As the metal tiger year of 2010 draws to a close (can we have a collective sigh of relief, please? and then confetti!!!) I am minded that, really, ultimately EVERYTHING happens for a reason. You can bitch and moan until you're hoarse, it ain't gonna change squat.

I have learnt that  sticking your head in the sand or ignoring the problem until it goes away, sometimes works. In the short term. Even though it feels REALLY good it ultimately comes back to bite you in the ass. When you've long forgotten about it. Like one of my clients phoning me yesterday. Tenant vacated in AUGUST already, and as their own children were returning from London and would occupy the property from January, I kind of (actually COMPLETELY) forgot about it. Enter Mrs X, phoning me yesterday, after 4 months, and telling me they would like to collect the keys on 1 January. Ummmmm, we are closed as its a public holiday? Am I sure I cannot make a plan and meet her at the property? Ummmmm, no, sorry. I plan the hangover of the (new) year, and I'm all the way out in the grammadoelas. And then it HIT me! There was maintenance to be taken care of. Sh1t!!!

Kept my cool, though, and remembered that she had said her husband would do the small handyman jobs.  And very carefully orchestrated the sentence to ask her if he HAD seen to everything and even offered to send her the number of a handyman we use regularly, should they need help over New Years. See? I was lucky. Don't stick your head in the sand.

To be honest though, at the moment I'm only fighting off the immediate danger. I don't know what is waiting to still become a problem. Probably a lot.

But the other thing I've learned, is don't try to be constantly in control. You CAN'T be, it is not possible. Down the road, crap is gonna happen, and you're gonna have to think on your feet.

But now, that no longer scares me . I will deal with it when it happens. And I know I'll make a success of it. Positive thinking - man, the ex would be SO PROUD! :)

2010 - you've taught me so much about myself. So, despite all the crap - thanks. If I hadn't been through what I've been through this year, I would not be writing here, I would not, FINALLY, be content with what I have and who I am, and I MOST certainly would NOT be perving over all the available and not-so-available men out there.

Life's good, for the first time in a long time. It is my watermelon, and I'm biting a huge chunk out of it, not even bothering to wipe my mouth after!

No comments:

Post a Comment